Viewing Images and Progress So Far
Each pattern's images shows current primary images for each pattern.
Existing pattern hearts and pics by name.
Open captioned images shows all captioned images in the library, not just the ones assigned as primary to patterns.
Recently added images shows in order of when it was added to the library, and shows what it was assigned to.
Remaining Work: Adding & Assigning
Image Check is for final image review.
NEWEST REVIEW: The following images still have issues to be resolved. (by Tree, 9/13/11)
SIZE & TECH ISSUES
Scan for updates at each pattern's images
It would be great if someone has time and energy to find excellent, relevant, non-stigmatizing, non-patronizing photos that:
- depict racially integrated groups with more than one person of a different ethnicity from others in the picture (our current images that have people who aren't White are mostly Black folks--it would be great to have more Latino/Indian/Asian faces, and we have no one who appears First Nations)
- depict someone who appears LGBT
- depict any other sorts of people who we are missing, such as closeups of larger-bodied folk, males with long hair, etc.
These were the only three conspicuous absences based on Sue and Dave's overall review of the 91 current, approved images.
These are pattern images that Tree personally is hoping get replaced before publication, dependent on her or someone locating an image that makes it through the group vetting process:
TREE'S "A" LIST, REALLY HOPING TO REPLACE
Gaia - show some presence of nature in a room (like a centerpiece) to distinguish from Power of Place; fall leaves, pine cones
Unity and Diversity - too stereotypical; 2 other hands together; really different people doing something together; something alive; emergent whole
TREE'S "B" LIST, WOULD ALSO LIKE TO REPLACE
SUE'S LIST OF IMAGES SHE WOULD LOVE TO SEE REPLACED
Appropriate Boundaries like concept, don't like aesthetics of this particular photo (left wall merges with horizon; 2 walls on right not as distinct)
Setting Intention the concept (of summit climbers) is growing on me, but could we find a shot with a larger group of folks so it feels more collective than solo?
Translation don't like overall aethetics of photo (yellowish color, fuzzy left side; would prefer a translater with either a speaker in the background, or at least part of the group/other people showing as well
Yes, and love the concept; just am not jazzed by the actual photo- a little distant, can't see dynamism on faces....
DAVE'S LIST OF CONCERN
If you see an image you want to have considered for a pattern, add it as a primary image for that pattern. Periodically, groups will: 1) Go ...
- Image progress lists which patterns have images that are ready to go, could be good enough, or definitely need a better image. (image status)
- Look through unassigned captioned images to link an available image with a pattern.
- A few of the better rejects are here, in case we need another image for something.
Add to the collection
If you want to look for images and add them to our library, please read through the image criteria below (click on the words or the little triangle to open it) and start adding! We also have a list of places to find images that may be helpful (feel free to add more good sources). Please include as much information about each image as you can manage—the fields will guide you through and anything missing will have to be tracked down by someone sometime if we use it so it's easier to get it up front if possible.
Image Resources: libraries, archives, networks, contacts, etc.(Also see image library and image criteria.)
General public domain or free/open-licensed...
Reviewing existing images' size and permissions
- Review image sizes — Download images to your computer, open in an editor and enter their width & height.
- Images with unreviewed permission — Find and record the license they're offered under. If they're not offered under a workable license, find the contact information for the copyright holder.
- Images with permission needed — Contact copyright holders and ask for their permission.
Add missing creator
Move existing information to proper fields
Initially we had a single caption field for each image which had a bunch of information thrown into it on where it came from, permissions, etc. Now we have a set of distinct fields. Thus many existing images have information in the old single field (now called "General Notes") that needs to be moved to the appropriate new fields: creator, copyright holder, license, caption, etc. . To help with this, go to all image captions (in order by image title) or each pattern's captioned images (ordered by pattern) and start copying info over from General Notes into the appropriate fields following.